Sunday, August 05, 2007

Buried Treasure

My daughter wants nothing to do with Photoshop, but owns a Canon 20D DSLR. When she purchased this camera for her trip to China, she wanted great images, and most of all NO SHUTTER LAG. She hates that, and was about to just buy a film camera to take with her, but didn't want the aggravation of carrying around film for the two week duration along with everything else. besides, you can't email film easily and that is how I managed to get pictures of Meikina while they were still gone...that and the wonders of a web cam! So, I told her that if they needed any Photoshop work, that I would do it.

Even though I have finished most of what she needed for Meikina's life book, there are still tons of photos in that file that are untouched. I've had these images for well over a year and every once in awhile I glance through them to see what might inspire me to scrap or just do a little editing for prints. I keep going back to what I said in my last post about stressing over making things perfect. To remember more than anything else, that it is the memories that matter. Since I have been feverishly working to finish Meikina's Story I have had to remind myself of this more than once. Many of the photos I am using for this project are far from being technically correct, but I use them because for one thing, they are what I have. However, when I really think about it, those images work perfectly for the job that I need them to do. You know, the way God uses us, our imperfect selves to do His perfect will. I ran across another photograph in my Trip to China folder that were taken either by my daughter or her husband when they were in China. This particular photo had never captured my attention before now. I totally missed it in the hundreds of images in that file because I was looking for the perfect one. The one I wouldn't have to mess with too much, or one that I would have been proud to call my own. I am such a nerd. This photo that I speak of, while not perfect is exactly what I was wishing for! Except the lighting is horrible, the composition leaves alot to be desired. But the emotion! Oh it is there, it's all there, from the eyes and heart of a husband to his wife and their new daughter. All the EMOTION and AWE of that moment is captured forever. I just had to look at it with my heart and not the eyes of a perfectionist/ex-sort of a pro photographer. Once I had cropped, adjusted a bit and added softening, all of what my granddaughter's parents were feeling are more visible. Now I show you this, my daughter holding her very own daughter...on Adoption Day.




"In the mirror of His love I see my own reflection. I accept myself for who I am, with all my imperfections."

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Blessings and Hugs,

Cheryl

5 comments:

Betty Jo said...

Cheryl what awesome words. And what an incredible, emotion filled photo. The moment I saw it tears jumped into my eyes. I'm too much of a perfectionist too. Thanks for the reminder, and that God truly loves us, imperfections and all.

BTW, please see my blog, you've received an award!! xoxo

Jen U said...

Gosh I don't know what to say except that was very beautifully written. Lovely photo and beautiful sentiment, thanks so much for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes, and feeling the awe and emotion that you are describing here. Oh, that photo of them together is beautiful, just beautiful. And the words you wrote capture is all so wonderfully. So wonderfully. Thank you for sharing about letting go of "getting it right" here, and the precious, picture you found as a result. I love this post.

Thanks much for sharing with us! Have a wonderfully imperfect day the mirror of His love. :-)

Nesting For Natalie said...

Ohhhh that is one beautiful moment totally captured!

Amy

Anonymous said...

Hello... I was wondering on the internet and I found your blog. You have beautiful designs and gorgeous photos. I wish I could take photos like that!!!
And I love the font you use in this design and I love if you could tell me the name.

My email is:elenazb@yahoo.com

Elena Z.